This is a great lesson to combine the topic of African Masks with symmetry. The kids love this project because it is very successful and stunning with the high contrast colored construction paper. Here are the steps:
1. Have the kids choose 2 colors of construction
paper and fold them together in half
2. Draw half of an African Mask on the folded side of the paper
3. Cut out all of the shapes and save all of the pieces. It's like putting together a puzzle.
4. Fold the large tan paper in half so we have a line of symmetry
5. Glue the two different colored face halves along the line of symmetry
6. Now, put all of the pieces together using the opposite colors on each side.
7. Lastly, add small details like dots and small lines with black and white paint and glue some raffia to the mask for added interest.