Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Handprint Snowflakes (2nd edition)

Okay, you caught me...I tend to stick with a theme for the week and then move on to bigger and better things when I've gotten to the point where I don't want to see another snowflake until next winter!  Yes, this is Snowflake week...stay tuned for Penguin week...Clay week...Snowman week...etc.  I used to do different themes with different classes, but then they would see their friends in other classes doing certain projects and get disappointed when they don't get to make it.

For this project, I decided to let the older kids (3rd & 4th) show some responsibility in putting paint on their own hands to use as a stamp.  If I did this with the younger kids, I would do the paint application myself.  Of course, I did have to go over some things NOT to do with the paint (a little pre-correct), and I also saved the stamping part toward the end of class, after they have done the drawing part of the project.

I drew several examples of snowflakes on the board, discussing each one's radial symmetry and the use of lines and shapes to make a snowflake.  The students used contrasting markers/colored pencils on the frame and the inside of the paper.  I think they turned out fabulous!  And, I resisted the urge to sprinkle glitter on them - my custodian is getting a little upset with all of the glitter in the building (I'll have to bake him a nice batch of Christmas cookies this year).




No comments :

Post a Comment