Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mondrian Day

I decided my students needed to see and experience a simple art form, in the style of Piet Mondrian.  I put together a Powerpoint presentation showcasing some of his most famous compositions.  I started the day with the 6th graders, where we used rulers, broad tip permanent markers, and tempera paint:
Next, I had the 4th graders use pre-cut construction paper and strips of black paper to make theirs. I emphasized that their shapes need to be parallel to the sides of their paper, ensuring that the shapes are positioned correctly.  I also encouraged the students to outline each shape with strips of black paper to create the grid:
And lastly, for the 1st graders, I had them create a grid with the black paper strips and use primary colored crayons to color in the selected shapes.  We discussed Primary Colors and geometric shapes:

No comments :

Post a Comment