Monday, January 14, 2013

Torn Paper Snowmen

This is the second year that I've done this project with my 2nd graders (which is rare due to the fact that I hardly ever repeat art lessons).  Once a year, on a very good day, when I have lots of energy for clean-up, I bring out the chalk pastels.  For this project, we used shades of blues, purples, whites, and grays to create a nighttime winter scene.  I introduce them to the 'horizon line' to divide the sky from the ground.  We color the snow with white & light blue first so our fingers are still moderately clean.  Then, we use dark colors for the sky.  After we are all washed-up and clean, we use white paper to tear three different sizes of circles...1 small, 1 medium, & 1 large.  We talk about the texture of torn paper resembling the fluffy, soft snow.  And lastly, we add buttons to the snow people and dots of glue for the glittery snow! Here are a few great examples:





1 comment :

  1. Cute, I will do. It builds fine motor skills with tearing.

    ReplyDelete