Thursday, October 24, 2013

Haunted Landscapes

     In true Halloween spirit, I decided to let my 6th graders have a little bit of fun this season.  Usually I save all of the holiday themed projects for my younger kids and keep the older kids working on things like value, perspective, art history, and the like.  Now, don't get me wrong, all of these things are VERY important in an art lesson and some could say that the elements and principles of art are the foundation to everything we do.  I could not agree more.  However, 6th graders are kids, too, and they deserve to make a Halloween project just like the rest of them.
     So, we painted the background first using red, yellow, and orange paint to create the sunset.  Next, I showed them how to cut out the shape of a house and fold the paper to cut out the windows (believe it or not, some kids didn't know this little trick!).  For the details like bats, trees, and so on, we used sharpie markers.  It would have been a tad too tedious to make the kids cut out the tree silhouettes and the small details.  Hope you find some inspiration you can use in your lessons!


No comments :

Post a Comment