Monday, September 19, 2011

Harvest Landscape Drawings with Chalk

I decided to break out this great lesson that I taught a couple of years ago called 'Modern Landscapes'.  I have to give credit where credit is due, so thank you Patti from Deep Space Sparkle for this lesson (http://www.deepspacesparkle.com/2008/05/coolwarm-modern-landscapes/).

I loved the results from Patti's blog, but decided to change it up a little bit by making it season specific.  For example, instead of just talking about and looking at landscapes, my students and I looked at photos showing farms and fields during harvest time.  We talked about the repeated lines, warm colors, rolling hills, and more.  I had a slideshow playing showing examples of student work from Patti's blog and contrasted those to some farmland photographs.  Using black oil pastels on black paper is genius because the chalk won't mess-up the line drawings...it just wipes away...like magic :)  And, of course, we talked about warm and cool colors and what types of colors to use when depicting daytime, nighttime, etc.  So, there was thought about color placement and color relationships here in this lesson.

Here are some samples of finished student work:

Artwork by Annie
 
 Artwork by Alonna

 Artwork by Keenan

  Artwork by Dannara

  Artwork by Sanai

 Artwork by Quanna

No comments :

Post a Comment